At HomeStudioToday, I strive to provide the best and most up-to-date News, Reviews, and How-To’s for the Home Studio Enthusiast. A big part of my mission at HomeStudioToday is providing honest, thoughtful, in-depth and, most importantly, unbiased reviews for my readers and followers.
HOW DO I REMAIN UNBIASED?
HomeStudioToday is supported by ads and affiliate links. When you scroll through my site, click on the ads or purchase any products via the provided links, I may receive a small commission. You can read more about that on our Disclosures page.
In order to keep the bills paid and still remain unbiased, HomeStudioToday has established the following guidelines for reviews:
- Only products that I have actually used are eligible for a review score. My reviews include screenshots, photos and/or audio samples, in part so that my readers know that I have actually used the product that I’m reviewing. Round-up reviews, where I rank all of the products in a particular category, are also comprised 100% of products that I have personally reviewed with links to the individual reviews prominently displayed. (Posts regarding hardware, like “Best Audio Interfaces,” are based on aggregate user reviews of the products and feedback from our Home Studio Enthusiasts Facebook Group, as I obviously don’t have tens of thousands of dollars to buy every single hardware product on the market and personally try them out.)
- All reviews reflect the opinions of HomeStudioToday’s editorial staff. Reviews are never outsourced to third parties, and I do not accept payment from companies in exchange for favorable reviews. If I say it’s good, then in my opinion, it is, and if I think it sucks, I’ll tell you why.
- In compliance with FTC guidelines, I disclose on each review page that some links on my site are affiliate links that may result in a small commission if a reader clicks through and buys a product.
- Products in the home recording industry, especially software products, are always evolving and changing. I will make every effort to regularly update my reviews to keep up with the current market, including providing major version numbers where applicable.
- I take reader feedback very seriously. If you disagree with my scoring for a particular product, let me know and I will gladly re-examine my review based on your input. (I may not change my mind, but I’ll definitely take another look.)
HOW MY REVIEWS ARE SCORED
When I take the time to review something, my primary goal is to help my readers determine whether the item being reviewed will be a good fit for their needs. To formulate a review score, each product is carefully ranked on a scale of zero to five stars in each of the criteria below:
Once each criterion has been individually scored, the star ratings are averaged to determine an overall review score, which is also on a scale of zero to five stars. I also make an effort to point out uses for products even if I personally wouldn’t use them. I understand that everyone doesn’t make the same kind of music as me – or even make music at all (podcasters, streamers, etc.)
WILL HOMESTUDIOTODAY REVIEW YOUR COMPANY’S PRODUCT?
If you have a product that you would like me to take a look at, I’m more than happy to consider it, however my time is limited. You can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll reach out within a few days to let you know if I have the bandwidth to complete a review. Before you reach out, please note the section above regarding my unbiased review guidelines. I absolutely do not accept payment in exchange for a favorable review, so don’t ask.